Right Click Block

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

When in Rome: Germans Make Things So Easy!



Welcome to today's edition of "cool things the Germans do"... I woke up two days ago to see this yellow bucket in front of my house. There was also one in front of everyone else's house on the street.

It said something about "kleider" (clothes) and "schuhe" (shoes) and WOOHOO it also had pictures on it ;o)

So from what I was guessing and translating and from a quick check with Julia, I discovered that it was in fact a collection bucket for poor people! There were instructions to leave it outside your house two days after they were dropped off.

I spent about 5 minutes wandering around my house putting in a random collection of shoes, toys, and clothes we don't need. And I tossed it out front and this morning they came to pick it up! 

How easy is that?

Now, I know, it's not that hard to give to the poor. But I'll be the first to admit that I'm lazy. I usually get as far as cleaning out the closets and labeling the bags ("airman's attic" or "donate" or whatever) and then they just sit all sad and lonely in the garage.

So I just love this idea of making it easy for everyone to make a small contribution. If even half of my village participated they got a crap ton of stuff to give away! How awesome!

It reminds me of how easy it is to recycle here. They intentionally make it a no-brainer! 

Good job Germany!



No comments:

Post a Comment